Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Still Here ... Still Noting Weirdness At VOA

1. I have a life … that’s my story and I am sticking to it.
2. My daughter is getting married next month, so we are cleaning the house until the day of.
3. I have had a touch of “blogger’s block.”
4. My temporary job has been kicking my butt.

Please chose one of the numbers above to explain the preceding season of quiet on this here blog.

While I was away …
It seems the Department of Transportation is looking into what looks like a breakage of the law due to a poor management decision by VOA. To save money and avoid inconvenience, the then supervisor of VOA’s Supervision Services (the pee-test people) decided not to certify any of the employees for the use of the breathalyzer.
The DOT apparently thinks this certification is needful, as it is the law.
We mentioned the needfulness of this certification to the supervisor (then the COO) while working there (2006). The matter was let drift away into Don't-Worry-About-It Land.
Last I heard, DOT was looking for names and addresses of all companies using VOA for Commercial Driver’s License testing.
When I was with Supervision Services (before my stint at the homeless shelter watching people get kicked around by the director and staff) we discovered by trial and error that ambient alcohol in the air from cleaning supplies could give the next breath-test person a false positive. Also, one of the Willy Wonka candies will give a false positive. Lord knows what else could pose problems. I bet certification training would have been helpful. It would have been lawful, too.

No comments: