Saturday, March 22, 2008

Horrible Headmistress In Dahl's Book Is Imitated In Life By Shelter Director

A few days ago I alluded to a Roald Dahl character, Miss Trunchbull, in the book, Matilda.
In case you haven’t seen the movie or had the book read to you, or read it to your kids, I wanted to give you a little taste of this horrible schoolmaster, who believes that the “perfect school is one that has no children in it at all.” (Page 159)

The attitudes of Miss Trunchbull and the director of the VOA Sheridan Community Shelter toward their charges are remarkably similar:

“Now most head teachers are chosen because they possess a number of fine qualities. They understand children, and have the children’s best interest at heart. They are sympathetic. They are fair and they are deeply interested in education. Miss Trunchbull possessed none of these qualities and how she ever got her present job was a mystery.” Page 82

“‘I am never mistaken, Miss Honey!’” Page 86

“‘No, I don’t think she’s mad,’ Matilda said. “‘But she’s very dangerous. Being in this school is like being in a cage with a cobra. You have to be very fast on your feet.’” Page 118

Miss Trunchbull to Matilda’s class: “‘Not a very pretty sight,’ she said. Her expression was one of utter distaste, as though she were looking at something a dog had done on the floor. ‘What a bunch of nauseating little warts you are.’ . . . ‘It makes me vomit,’ she went on, ‘to think that I am going to have to put up with a load of garbage like you in my school . . . I can see that I am going to have to expel as many of you as possible to save myself from going round the bend.’” Page 141

“‘I suppose your mothers and fathers tell you you’re wonderful. Well I am here to tell you the opposite …’” Page 142

“Nigel spelled the word correctly which surprised the Trunchbull. She thought she had given him a very tricky word . . . and she was peeved that he had succeeded.’” Page 146

Other recommended Dahl reading includes James and the Giant Peach, with two despicable aunts last seen directing other VOA homeless shelters, I would suppose.

No comments: